Waïl S. Hassan
Professor of French,Center for African Studies,Latin American and Caribbean Studies,Center for Global Studies, and English
Program in Comparative and World Literature
Departments of English and French
Centers for African, Global, Latin American and Caribbean, South Asian and Middle Eastern, and Translation Studies
Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies
Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
Specializations / Research Interest(s)
- Arabic and Arab Diaspora literature and intellectual history, comparative literature, transnational studies, postcolonial and translation theory
My current research focuses on the Arabic novel and on Arab literary and cultural relations with the Americas.
- Ph.D. Comparative Literature, UIUC (1998)
- Approaches to Teaching the Works of Naguib Mahfouz. . MLA Publications, 2012.
- Immigrant Narratives: Orientalism and Cultural Translation in Arab American and Arab British Literatrue. . Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Thou Shalt Nor Speak My Language. . Syracuse University Press, 2008.
- Tayeb Salih: Ideology and the Craft of Fiction. . Syracuse University Press, 2003.
- "Teaching a Seminar on Mahfouz." Approaches to Teaching the Works of Naguib Mahfouz. . MLA, 2012.
- ""Arab-Brazilian Literature: Alberto Mussa’s Mu‘allaqah and South-South Dialogue.." The Middle East in Brazil. . Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2011.
- "Gibran and Orientalism." Arab Voices in Diaspora: Critical Perspectives on Anglophone Arab Literature. . Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2009.
- "Oyono in Arabic." PMLA, Theories and Methodologies: An African Classic in Twelve Languages 128.1 (2013):
- ""Edward Said and Memoirs of Palestinian Exile." Revista Litteris 8 (2011):
Special Issues of a Journal
- "Which Languages?." Original Languages. Spec. iss. of Comparative Literature 65.1 (2013):
- "Jorge Ahmad." Jorge Amado. Spec. iss. of Comparative Literature Studies 49.3 (2012):
- Arabic Literature Now: Between Area Studies and the New Comparatism. Spec. iss. of Comparative Literature Studies 47.4 (2010):
- "Tayeb Salih." Dictionary of African Biography. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- "The Encyclopedia of the Novel." The Arabic Novel in the Mashreq. New York: Blackwell Publishers, 2010.